How to manage mental illness?
How to manage mental illness.
Mental illness is preferred as a psychological health problem that is interconnected with the person’s behavior, felling, emotion and interaction with others. The term mental disorder is also used to characterize this symptoms and health problem. Psychiatrists have defined mental illness as a mental health problem related to our biological factors and brain stigma resulting in symptoms to predict mental illness. Here, in this article we are going to discuss about some ways to manage mental illness alone with the types of mental health issues and mental disorders.
Read: factors affecting mental health and welbeing.
World health organization WHO has categorized mental illness as a health disorder incorporating different symptoms like abnormal thoughts, emotions, behavior and relationship with others. American Psychiatric association defined that mental illness subjected to health conditions involving behave, thinking, felling, commonsense which are all associated with problems functioning formal activities. Symptoms related to mental illness differs from person to person. It is difficult to predict when and how a person is suffering from mental illness. But the treatment available today is formally based on observation and questioning prescribed by the psychiatrists and psychologists. It is assume that 1 in every 5 people suffers from mental illness once in their lifetime and 1 in every 17 people, mental illness is a severe health problem. Mental illness can be experienced temporarily if are not carefully dealt with.
Mental illness can be predicted from dysfunction in cognitive, behavioral, emotional regulation underlying mental barrier.
Causes of mental illness and symptoms
Social, economic, biological, environmental and psychological are some of the factors that contribute in mental illness. The exact cause of mental illness is still unknown. A person is said to have mental illness after observing and diagnosed with symptoms that goes with the observation.
Read: Tips to maintain good mental health and its effectiveness.
- Social and economic factors: Social issues contribute a lot in mental illness. Like race, ethnicity, gender discrimination, social unrest and security, job losses, poverty are some of the socio-economic factors that affect the mental health.
- Biological and psychological factors: Biological and psychological factors are more relevant and additive cause of mental illness biological issues like birth defects, disabilities, autism, PTSD can break the mental health. Psychological factors like anxiety, mood, negative prospective, bulling, depression, stress, relationship, abuse parental exposure triggers mental illness.
- Environmental factors: Environmental factors also leads to developing disorders, criminal activity, social distance, harsh climate, pollution, drug abuse, sleep deprivation causes mental break down.
Different types of mental illness characterize different sets of symptoms. A sudden change in a person’s behavior, mood, thoughts that hampers the daily basis can be a sign of mental illness.
Here some of the symptoms relates to mental illness:
- Oversleep or less sleep.
- Lack of motivations.
- Depressed more often.
- Avoiding people and social activity.
- Not having care of personal health issues.
- Unusual thoughts.
- Lack of interconnection with people.
- Excessive worry even with slightly little things.
- Get addicted to drug and alcohol.
- Changes in eating habit like decrease of hunger.
- Physical illness like intense headache due to stress, stomach aces, problem in eye sight, body pain.
- Inability to express one’s own thinking, felling towards others.
- Difficulty obtaining reality like delusion, hallucination coming across things that doesn’t exists in real life.
- Dipolar disorder (can’t decide what to choose).
- Suicidal thoughts.
- Low performance while undertaking daily tasks.
- Decreasing optimism and constant judgement.
Read: Weight loss strategies of success. -Dr. Tanjima
Types of mental illness
According to health experts there are over 300+ mental disorders that indicates and verify the diagnosis of mental illness.
Now, we will discuss the major types of mental illness.
- Schizophrenia: Schizophrenia is an acute and complex mental health condition. It relates to hallucination, delusions, confusion and chaotic thinking. It effects the interaction with people. People diagnosed with schizophrenia shows symptoms like living in a world that doesn’t simplify reality moreover fragmented.
- Anxiety disorder: Anxiety disorder includes excessive fear and felling of being judged. People diagnosed with anxiety find it difficult to socializing with people and are extremely worried about things that add no matter at all.
- Eating disorder: Those who are affected with eating disorder particularly female adolescents and young woman, eating disorder is a serious mental and physical health problem. Those who are diagnosed with eating disorder feels eating makes them anxious, guilty, gaining weight, no control over food habits and taking food in time.
- Personality disorder: Personality disorder is common and genuine form of mental disorder. Persons diagnosed with personality disorder shows symptoms that vary from Each other like afraid to adapt new environment, some are extrovert and some are emotional while others are calm some enjoys adventure when others like to stay at home.
- Mood disorder: Most common form of mood disorder is bipolar disorder. People diagnosed with mood disorder may feel low or extreme depression and some may overcome mania at a shorter period while others stay longer.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): People with PTSD suffer from experiencing constant flashbacks like death, sexual harassment, accident that reminds traumatic situations, memories and nightmares.
Treatment to manage mental illness
When a person is diagnosed with mental illness experts will suggest to undergo some treatments to cope up with mental illness. There are several treatments that are practiced widely.
- Keeping you busy: Sometimes laziness leads to mental illness like stress and depression. Be active is a good means of defending mental illness. If you do the thigs that you like will decrease the chances of getting stress related symptoms. At the same time be active in sporting activities this will boost your mental health. Remember that active life is a healthy life.
- Medication: Medication is a type of psychiatric treatment to cure mental illness. Anti-depressants drugs and techniques are often used to deal with this disorders. This will give momentarily relief but continuous practice will give much comfort. Anti-anxiety, mood-stabilizing drugs are also used to treat patients with mental disorder and can reduce insomnia, panic disorder, phobia drastically.
- Surround yourself with good people: It is important and better to surround yourself with enthusiastic, optimist and positive cognitive people. Because, they influence a lot in someone’s behavior, thinking, habits and values. And if it is possible surround yourself with your types of peoples, a person who supports and shares similar ideological values, thinking and views.
- Taking care of yourself: Taking care of yourself is must. Value your self-respect. Protect yourself from negative prospective, abide positive attitude, and talk to yourself. Take control over your moods, behavior and habits. But also respect others opinion and their values. Be a helping hand to others.
- Acceptance: Remember who you are and knowing the boundaries beyond your ability. It is quite unusual to stress over things that you can’t control. Like you can’t be a billionaire overnight. You should not get distracted to fancy things that you can’t purchase. So, knowing yourself is must.
- Breaking monotony and do something new: Sometimes a monotonous routine leads to depression. So, try to taste something new. Trying something new for the first time will improve your mood and perfection as a whole. You will regret doing things that gives you much pleasure. Your confidence level will be up and you will more focus and concentrated at your work. Adding that be a hobbyist as well.
- Be realistic: Always aim high, but set goals that go with realistic prospective. Decide who you want to be in your professional lifetime, your academic qualification and make the steps towards your goals. As you progress towards your goal you will achieve sense of accomplishment. Besides take help from your academics and friends.
- Abide social norms: As a social being you should follow the rules to stay in a society with harmony. You should respect ethnicity, race, class and creed. You must take part in social activities and social gatherings.
- Psychotherapy: Psychotherapy means getting involved with a psychiatrist and to observe the patient’s mental condition closely. It is also known as talk therapy. It involves talking about
Thus One can easily cope with mental issues. It this does not work please contact your doctor. Always remember in mind managing mental illness is like meditation, all and every time you need to look after your mental health.
Writer: Jahid Raj